Monday, November 24, 2008

"I belong to the Blank Generation and I can take it or leave it each time..."

WOXY
Back to the Future playlist

Saturday, 20 September 2003

8 a.m.
Madness – “One Step Beyond”
Julian Cope – “Charlotte Anne”
Love & Rockets – “It Could Be Sunshine”
Neds Atomic Dustbin – “Grey Cell Green”
The Buck Pets – “A Little Murder”
Toad the Wet Sprocket – “Walk On the Ocean”
Wire Train – “Chamber of Hellos”
B-52s – “Private Idaho”
Tracey Chapman – “For My Lover”
Dukes of Stratosphear – “25 O’Clock”
Eurythmics – “When Tomorrow Comes”
Gene Loves Jezebel – “Desire”
Big Star – “September Gurls”
Adrian Belew – “Big Electric Cat”

9 a.m.
The Modern Lovers – “Roadrunner”
Klark Kent – “Don’t Care”
Golden Palominos – “Boy (Go)”
Husker Du – “Sorry Somehow”
10,000 Maniacs – “Like the Weather”
Living Colour – “Glamour Boys”
Richard Hell & the Voidoids – “Blank Generation”
Stereo MC’s – “Connected”
The Cure – “Killing an Arab”
The Chameleons – “Tears”
A Split Second – “Parallax View”
The Jam – “Start”
Holly & the Italians – “Tell that Girl to Shut Up”
The Nails – “88 Lines About 44 Women”
Beat Farmers – “Happy Boy”
Translator – “Everywhere That I’m Not”

10 a.m.
Grandmaster Flash – “White Lines”
Madder Rose – “Swim”
Michelle Shocked – “Anchorage”
Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper – “Jesus at McDonalds”
New York Dolls – “Personality Crisis”
Rockpile – “Teacher Teacher”
Pere Ubu – “Final Solution”
The Jazz Butcher – “The Devil is My Friend”
The The – “Infected”
Jesus & Mary Chain – “April Skies”
The Smiths – “Headmaster Ritual”
The Dead Milkmen – “Instant Club Hit (You’ll Dance to Anything)”
The Connells – “Fun & Games”
The Call – “I Don’t Wanna”
Killing Jokes – “Eighties”

One of the greatest things about creating my own show was the ability to put songs on the air that would normally never get heard. I tried to intersperse the lesser-known songs with those that listeners would recognize, and it was always a thrill for me whenever someone rang me up at the station with a fun request or a compliment on how they were digging the tunes.

The listeners who took the time to phone in were a welcome distraction and usually had some awesome musical suggestions. They made my time on-air seem less like a job and more like a party. Knowing that folks were tuning in – even at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning - kept me on my toes to make my breaks as interesting as possible and I tried to give callers shout-outs on the air because for whatever reason, people like to hear their names on the radio. As more listeners learned about the show and tuned in, I began to leave gaps open in the playlist for their requests. Those will be evident in later posts.

This playlist is full of favorites for me: “Big Electric Cat,” “Roadrunner,” “Blank Generation” and “The Devil is My Friend” are just a few that I could probably put on an endless loop and never get tired of hearing.

Check out Richard Hell & the Voidoids:

2 comments:

sledge said...

I SO need to get a copy of that Jazz Butcher tune...

Miss_K said...

I can hook you up!