Friday, November 21, 2008

"Things are going great, and they're only getting better..."

In May 2003 I got an email from old college buddy and current WOXY program director Mike Taylor, asking me if I would be interested in creating a Saturday morning program on WOXY to showcase the music we played as students during those halcyon days at WWSU.

“Hey -if you are interested in an air shift on 97X, and you think you will indeed still be living in the area for a while - let me know. there is a show i've been considering trying to get off the ground here, but needs to have a host with a serious knowledge of modern rock, particularly pre-Nirvana, whom I haven't run across with the desire to take it on. hope things are well -mike”

Of course I was interested! Several emails and phone calls later I was training in the studio with Mike, Sledge, Barb and Shiv, and then boom, I was on the air. I kept copies of all my Back to the Future programs and will be posting them as time allows.

My shift began at 6 a.m. with two hours of regular programming, and Back to the Future ran from 8 a.m. - 11 a.m.

WOXY
Back to the Future
6 September, 2003


8 a.m.
XTC – “Senses Working Overtime”
Berlin – “The Metro”
The Dbs – “Spy in the House of Love”
Frankie Goes to Hollywood – “Relax”
This Picture – “Naked Rain”
Yaz – “Don’t Go”
Richard Thompson – “Valerie”
The Clash – “Ivan Meets GI Joe”
Stan Ridgway – “I Wanna Be a Boss”
The Beautiful South – “Rotterdam”
The Pursuit of Happiness – “I’m an Adult Now”
Thomas Dolby – “She Blinded Me with Science”
Blondie – “Denis”
Suzanne Vega – “Left of Center”
Too Much Joy – “Long Haired Guys From England”

9 a.m.
Timbuk 3 – “The Future’s So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)”
Meat Puppets – “Sam”
Don Dixon – “Praying Mantis”
Pop Will Eat Itself – “Can U Dig It?”Big Audio Dynamite – “The Bottom Line”
BoDeans – “Angels”
Lloyd Cole – “Lost Weekend”
Tones on Tail – “Go!”
Yello – “O Yeah”
Time Zone – “World Destruction”
Guadalcanal Diary – “Watusi Rodeo”
Ian Dury – “Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll”
The Pretenders – “Stop Your Sobbing”
Let’s Active – “Every Word Means No”
Black Flag – “TV Party”
De La Soul – “Me, Myself & I”
Hoodoo Gurus – “I Want You Back”

10 a.m.
The Vapors – “Turning Japanese”
Soup Dragons – “I’m Free”
Adam & the Ants – “Antmusic”
Belle Stars – “Sign of the Times”
English Beat – “Mirror in the Bathroom”
Fine Young Cannibals – “Suspicious Minds”
INXS – “I Send a Message”
The Kings – “This Beat Goes On/Switchin’ to Glide”
Depeche Mode – “Flexible”
Oingo Boingo – “Dead Man’s Party”
Plimsouls – “A Million Miles Away”
Shriekback – “Nemesis”
Elvis Hitler – “Green Haze”
The Housemartins – “Happy Hour”
The Shamen – “Ebeneezer Goode”

No comments: