Friday, June 13, 2008

"The past is your present, the future is mine..."

Had my first training session at WOXY this week. Boy, production sure has changed since I was last on the air in 2004! Whereas before I had to physically pull CDs from the library to play, cue them up, check the outcue notes (the way the song ends) and do my best to make seamless segues, now it's all done via a computer program.

In some ways it is a lot easier now - I can fiddle around with the intros and outcues and can preview them beforehand - something I certainly couldn't do back in the day, and it's pretty handy. It's also nice that all the music is in one large database, so there's no pulling CDs for the show and no filing them away afterwards. I have only ever known the hands-on method, so this new (to me) software is very nice.

But in other ways it is a little more daunting. I'm something of a perfectionist, and I'll admit that I am more than a tad bit worried that I'll waste scads of time messing around with the song order and segueways ad infinitum. Add to that a library as large as WOXY's and you can maybe see my dilemma.

Holy crap!

3 comments:

Jeff P. said...

:D

sledge said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean - it is a but intimidating at first, but after a few go-arounds it becomes second nature.

I do miss using CD's, but it's nice to be able to set up a few songs at once and do something else for a bit without having to worry about segues.

kc said...

Yes, it usually seems like the time you gain via technology is taken right back with something else.

Looking forward to catching your show. :-)