Monday, May 05, 2008

"Gotta keep runnin' gotta be the best, gotta walk tall in the Wild West..."

4 June 1986

K Blondie – “The Tide is High”
PWR Dumptruck – “Walk Into Mirrors”
#1 Beat Farmers – “Riverside”
H Helios Creed – “Showdown”
DC XTC – “Take This Town”
M Rapture of the Deep – “Watching the Fireworks”
PWR Peter Gabriel – “Don’t Give Up”
REC Stan Ridgway – “Can’t Stop the Show”
H Jonathan Richman – “It’s You”
L Pleasures Pale – “Lovely, Lovely”
K The Raisins – “19th Nervous Breakdown”
PWR Siouxsie & the Banshees – “Cannons”
DC REM – “Feeling Gravity’s Pull”
H Robert Wyatt – “Speechless”
M The Windbreakers – “I’ll Be Back”
#2 Pete Shelley – “On Your Own”
PWR Joe Jackson – “Wild West”
REC Violent Femmes – “I Held Her in My Arms”
H The Pogues – “Body of an American”
DC The Shoes – “Too Late”
K Split Enz – “History Never Repeats”
PWR Blow Monkeys – “Digging Your Scene”
L Bryan Ferry – “Is Your Love Strong Enough”
H The Pandoras – “I Didn’t Cry”
M Zulus – “Back to Sleep”
DC Bram Tchaikovsky – “Shall We Dance”
PWR Art of Noise – “Peter Gunn theme”
REC The Jesus & Mary Chain – “Cut Dead”
H Joe Pop-o-Pie – “I Am the Walrus”
#3 Dancing Hoods – “Build a House”
DC The Smiths – “How Soon is Now”
PWR The Jazz Butcher – “D.R.I.N.K.”
K Talking Heads – “Life During Wartime”
H Jane Siberry – “One More Colour”
M Lou Reed – “Original Wrapper”
L Alex Chilton – “No Sex”
PWR The Neighborhoods – “WUSA”
DC The Ramones – “Sheena Is a Punk Rocker”
H EIEIO – “White Lines, Blue Skies, Black Top”
REC The Reducers – “Let’s Go”
PWR BoDeans – “Fadeaway”
M Butthole Surfers – “Creep in the Cellar”
K The Alarm – “Walk Forever By My Side”

A few days after finishing this show, I hopped a plane to Japan as a Wright State University "Student Ambassador," which is a glorified name for an exchange student. There were 13 of us who left WSU for the summer to study language and culture at Okayama University of Science. Most of the summer semester was spent living in dorms at Okayama University, but there were also two homestays with Japanese families, each a week long. The Japanese are really big on gift-giving, and we were instructed to bring plenty of gifts for all family members as thank-yous for opening up their homes to us.


One of my host families had three sons, aged 13, 11 and 7. I gave the boys WWSU t-shirts, bumper stickers and the 7" EP the station had put out a few months prior (see photo at left). The EP had the above-mentioned Pleasures Pale "Lovely Lovely" on it, as well as That Hope doing "Spaceboys In Love" and Chain Link Fence doing a promo called "A Sound Alternative," which was our current station catchphrase. (Others included "The Ten Million Microwatt Voice of Wright State University" and "WWSU: Serving the Dayton, Fairborn and Beavercreek Metroplex.")

Anyway, the boys were crazy about the single and played it ALL THE TIME. I wasn't really that keen on the thing in the first place, and after a week of hearing it on repeat I HATED IT. Even after all these years I doubt I'd want to spin it again, even though I've a dozen of them stashed away in the basement. Who knows, I might give them away as door prizes at the reunion...

No comments: