Thursday, May 22, 2008

"And the whole world dragged us down, not a sonnet, not a sound..."

WWSU Playlist
9 November 1988
Wednesday, 9 p.m.-midnight

FIRST HOUR
K
Robyn Hitchcock – “The Man With the Lightbulb Head”
H Scrawl – “I Feel Your Pain”
TOTW Art of Noise – “Kiss”
H Sonic Youth – “Candle”
DC Easterhouse – “Get Back to Russia”
M Ipso Facto – “”Rockers”
H A;Grumph – “Another Brick in the Wall pt.2”
PM REC Bongwater – “Reaganation”
H Big Stick – “Crack Attack”
H AC Temple – “Armache”
K Blondie – “Accidents Never Happen”
DC The Coolies – “Talkin’ Bout Doug”
LS Timelords – “Doctorin’ the Tardis”

SECOND HOUR
K
Elvis Costello – “Watching the Detectives”
H Head of David – “Tequila”
TOTW A House – “Call Me Blue”
M A Split Second – “Scandinavian Belly Dance”
DC Cabaret Voltaire – “I Want You”
H Ministry – “Deity”
K Half Japanese – “Colleen”
LS Circus 13 – “Under the Library”
PM REC Indigos – “Side Effects”
H Nina Hagen – “Universal Radio”
REQ Sex Pistols – “Pretty Vacant”
DC Blackouts – “Everglades”
M Oingo Boingo – “Not My Slave”

THIRD HOUR
K House of Love – “Christine”
H KMFDM – “No Meat, No Man”
TOTW Big Dipper – “Meet the Witch”
DC Butthole Surfers – “Movin’ to Florida”
H Sharkbait – “Big Rallys”
REQ Depeche Mode – “Everything Counts”
REQ Soft Cell – “Tainted Love”
PM REC Front Line Assembly – “Die-Sect”
LS 10-inch Men – “Mellow Yellow”
H Front 242 – “Headhunter”
K Tommy Keene – “Places That Are Gone”
DC Guadalcanal Diary – “Trail of Tears”
H M/A/R/R/S – “Pump Up the Volune”
DC Lou Reed – “Sally Can’t Dance”

I'd almost forgotten how well I liked that first House of Love album, released on Creation Records in 1988. It was a short-lived love affair though because as soon as I began reading interviews with Guy Chadwick in UK music magazines I decided he was a bit full of himself and needed to be taken down a few pegs. By the time Fontana Records won the bidding war for the band, they'd lost my interest. Not that I didn't adore "I Don't Know Why I Love You" when I got the advance single, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more hype than talent in the band.

Fast forward ten years to a journey down the M3 from London toward Winchester late one night. Steve and I had been digging John Peel on Radio1, but the signal was getting dodgy and we had to switch stations. We stumbled upon an interview with Guy Chadwick and I'm sorry to say that time and fading fame had done nothing to his massive ego - and on top of that he was incredibly boorish and condescending to the interviewer.

Had it been me behind the mike, I'd have kicked his pompous arse out the door.

No comments: