Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"Oftentimes I'm reminded of the sweet young days..."

Graham Lineham has written a lovely little fanpiece about Dayton's Guided by Voices.

I fell in love with GbV early in their career after seeing them live at Canal Street Tavern just after the release of their first album, "Forever Since Breakfast." I probably wouldn't have even gone to the show had it not been for my friend and fellow DJ Don Thrasher, who insisted I go because he knew I'd love them.

And I did. I bought the album from Bob after the show, kicking off a seriously wallet-depleting habit that continues to this day. Thanks a lot, Don. ;)

And I continue to love them, and love everything that Bob Pollard touches, because he's brilliant.

1 comment:

kc said...

I agree with the fanpiece regarding Pollard: "Even when he’s bad, he’s good. And when he’s good, he’s amazing."

I was dragged to a GBV concert back in the day - it felt more like a party than a gig!